AMERICAN ILLUSTRATION 40
• All illustrators, creative professionals, publishers, agencies, representatives, students and teachers of illustration of any nationality living, working or studying in North America (U.S. and Canada) with work created or published anywhere for any purpose.
• International illustrators living abroad who have North American citizenship, or representation, or have been published or exhibited in North America are also eligible.
• Any work created, published or exhibited between January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020, for both print and digital media.
• Work assigned or created in 2019 for publication in 2020 is eligible.
• Work assigned or created in 2020 for publication in 2021 is eligible.
• All images in an ongoing project that started earlier and continued into 2020, whether published or not, are eligible.
American Illustration 40
First Deadline: Friday, March 5, 2021
Extensions and the final deadline to be announced.
AI40 Entry Fees
• $35 per single illustration in any category.
• $75 per series of 6 images from an editorial story, advertising campaign, book, catalog, annual report, promotional, calendar, video or personal unpublished project.
• $15 per illustration -or-
• $75 per portfolio of up to 6 images by an individual, class or department.
For additional savings, departments may enter multiple students in one portfolio, if so, use the school or department’s name as the Artist First and Last name. Name the files you’re uploading with the student’s first and last name. Ex.: MarySmith.jpg.
Publication fees for winning images are in addition to entry fees for Selected and Chosen images:
Selected (in the book): $95 per image for publication in the book and The Archive.
Chosen (on the website only): $50 per image to be presented on The Archive only.
Publication fees cover costs for design, printing, binding, customs clearance, website development and are necessary since neither the book nor the Archive are sponsored or include advertising.
Publication fees are discounted for images within a series and waived for winning student submissions and not-for-profit organizations.
Payments can be made by credit card when you check out, or you can send a check made payable to either American Photography -or- American Illustration. Please include your member ID number on the check. An invoice will be available in Step 6 before you check out and a receipt will be emailed. Please keep it for your records. Payments may also be made through Paypal. Send money to email@example.com. We will confirm receipt by email.
Note where subcategories are required for sumbissions in Editorial, Books, and Unpublshded categories.
Motion, animation and video may be submitted to the Int’l Motion Art Awards here.
Individual images or stories on any subject for magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals in both print and digital media. Including assigned outtakes.
SUBCATEGORIES required: Photojournalism/News; Portraiture; Fashion/Design; Food; Travel/Lifestyle; Sports; Conceptual; Animals; Still Life; and Other.
Covers, individual images and sequential series from trade books, limited editions, children’s books, graphic novels, comic books and self-published editions.
SUBCATEGORIES required: Children’s Books; Monographs; Adult Fiction/Non-Fiction; Graphic Novels/Comics; and Other.
Ads in consumer and trade magazines, newspapers, websites and all other media. Entire campaigns or individual images accepted from print and digital media.
• GRAPHICS / PROMOTION
Images and all forms of designed material for brochures, annual reports, catalogs, direct mail, announcement cards, CD covers, calendars, posters, labels and packaging, websites, point-of-sale or merchandising and self-promotion pieces from print and digital media. Includes large-scale murals and 2D installations.
Designed promotional, political, music and theater posters for commercial or not-for-profit clients and self-generated projects.
3-D vinyl and plush toys, products and installations for either not-for-profit or commercial purpose.
• VIDEO/ANIMATION STILLS
Still shots from live action and animation for feature films, television commercials, documentaries, websites, games, Apps and music videos. Includes any image or design that moves. Up to 6 still images accepted per project.
All moving images i.e. video, live action, animation and GIFs must be submitted through the Int’l Motion Art Awards here.
Self-generated personal, experimental and fine art work.
SUBCATEGORIES required: Personal Work; Fine Art; Nudes, and Other.
Any work by full- or part-time undergrad and graduate students completed in class, not for commercial use. Students may submit individually or as part of a department or class.